- Information on Colleges and Universities - because every student can!
- LAUSD - Digital Library - Reference websites and much, much more.
- LAUSDnet Search Engine page - To assist you in collecting information. Includes all the major search engines to assist you in finding information available on the web.
- LAUSD Student Learning Standards - What you are expected to know by each grade level.
- Merriam-Webster's Word Central - Word Games
- Yahoo's List of Reference Guides and Materials
- Eduface.com: Online Resources for Kids, Parents and Families
Table of Contents
Citation Guides, Style Guidelines, Using Primary Sources
- Chicago Style - Works Cited or References
- Citing Electronic Sources -The Owl at Purdue
- Common Errors in English
- Digital Classroom - National Archives, Primary Sources, Activities, and Training for Educators and Students
- Evaluating Internet Based Information - The World Wide Web is expanding at an unbelievable rate. Some experts say that a new site is placed online every three It is possible for almost anyone to place anything on the Internet. How can we be sure that the information we receive online is accurate? Let's read what some of the experts say.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing - This is a must see for all students.
- Guide for Writing Research Papers
- How to Write an A+ Research Paper
- IPL Teenspace: A+ Research and Writing
- Library Guides - Citation Style Guides for Internet/Electronic Sources
- Online! Citation Styles
- Research, Writing, and Style Guides (MLA, APA, Chicago/Turabian, Harvard, CGOS, CBE)
- Students' Guide to WWW Research - Web Searching, Web Page Evaluation and Research Strategies.
- Web Extensions to American Psychological Association Style
Dictionaries and other Word Tools
- Acronym and Abbreviation List
- American Heritage Book of English Usage A practical and authoritative guide to the contemporary English
- American Heritage Dictionary
- Bartleby.Com Guide to Verse
- Bartlett's Quotations on-line
- Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - Giving the Derivation, Source, or origin of common phrases, allusions and words that have a story to tell.
- Index of Online Dictionaries
- Human Language Pages
- Martindale's Reference Guide
- Merriman-Webster Online
- Merriman-Webster - Vocabulary Builder
- Research-It - Your one-stop reference desk, dictionaries, thesauri, translators.
- Roget's Thesaurus
- Roget's II: the New Thesaurus, Third Edition
- Rhyming Dictionary
- Simpson, James B, 1988: Simpson's Contemporary Quotations
- Strunk, William - Elements of Style
- Webster's Dictionary
- Word Central - Dictionary and Word Games
- Wordsmyth - English Dictionary-Thesaurus
- Encarta Online
- Encyclopedia Smithsonian
- Funk and Wagnells Encyclopedia
- Instrument Encyclopedia
- Smithsonian Encyclopedia
- Knowledge Rush - Great works of literature and historical documents online - free for the reading.
Maps and Atlases
- Atlapedia Online - Atlapedia Online contains full color physical and political maps as well as key facts and statistics on countries of the world.
- Internet Public Library Ready Reference Collection: Maps & Atlases
- Library of Congress: General Maps and Atlases Homepage - Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress
- MapMachine @ nationalgeographic.com - a wonderful collection from the world famous National Geographic Society.
- National Atlas - The USGS presents this site that allows you to use your browser to create maps of your choice with information such as population, agriculture facts, weather etc.
- Quick Maps of the World - Flags, Economy, Geography, Climate, Natural Resources, Current Issues, International Agreements, Population, Social Statistics.
- USGS National Mapping Information
- US Census Map Server
- World Atlas.com
- World Fact Book - The CIA's Educational Website
- World Facts and Figures
Research Topic Guides
- Primary Sources and Activities - Teaching with Documents, Lesson plans from the National Archives.
NOTE TO PARENTS: We have provided the following websites for your child's fun and enjoyment and to assist them in conducting research on the web. Please take note that because of the nature of the Internet, and the World Wide Web in particular, it is still possible to access a series of links that may take one to almost anywhere. In otherwords, in spite of our efforts to supply appropriate material and links on this page, parents should supervise children while they surf the Web. LAUSDnet recommends that before allowing your children to travel the Web, you read Parent's Guide to the Internet by the US Dept. of Education with your family.
Disclaimer This page of the Los Angeles Unified School District's Web Site identifies resources and links to other Web sites that would appear useful for our readers. The opinions expressed on these pages are solely those of the host website and not necessarily those of the Los Angeles Unified School District. Any advertising presented on these pages is solely the responsibility of the host site and not the Los Angeles Unified School District. Such references and links do not constitute any endorsement by the Los Angeles Unified School District of the products or services of those enterprises.