Network for a Healthy California
Our mission to increase healthy eating and physical activity among Melrose students. Our goal is to motivate children to eat more fruits and vegetables and enjoy 60 minutes of physical activity every day. The Network's Web site http://www.healthylausd.net it is designed to provide everyone whether youre a teacher, parent or kid all of the tools needed to get moving toward a healthier lifestyle!
Attention All Parents!
Dont Throw Away That Empty Cartridge!
College/ University Paraphernalia Fridays
Melrose Star Book and Journalism Clubs Update
Arts Education Update by Stacy Bertucelli
Thank you! Mr. A & Ms. B
Update on School Beautification
10 TIPS FOR CHOOSING BOOKS FOR CHILDREN OF ALL AGES
* Have children choose their own books as soon as they start showing a preference for one over another.
* Find the children's section of your local library. Get to know the librarian, who can be a great resource.
* Find out what your child is interested in, and help choose books that are related to his or her interests.
* Ask friends, family, and teachers what books their children have enjoyed; try a book swap.
* If your child does not like a book you are reading together, put it away. Reading is a fun time to share, not a time to fight.
* Again, Again, Again! Children may want to read the same book many times, even if you think they have outgrown it.
* Use book lists generated by various literacy organizations; they usually have good suggestions. For example: American Library Association, International Reading Association, Children's Book Guild
* Look for books that you will like reading aloud. Your enjoyment will shine through and become contagious.
* Try out different kinds of books to see what appeals to your children.
* Have fun! Show your children the joy of reading and how it can open up a brand new world!
Filming and Parking On Campus
As you may know, many LAUSD schools in this area are used for the film and commercial industry. Melrose Avenue is a school that because of our close proximity to the film studios and location to Hollywood is often selected to be used in commercials or films. Please note that the education of our students is the utmost importance and that filming will be avoided or scheduled when children are not in session or after school hours. There may be instances where filming will occur directly after classes and therefore film crews may need to park on our playground. When this occurs, we will close a portion of the play ground and add an additional recess and lunch schedule to accommodate half of the school. The amount of instructional time and recess and lunch time will remain unchanged, however the time may be staggered to accommodate the two recess and lunches on half the playground.