NEW: The AR and STAR tests will be converted to the school-wide network starting in July so that more classroom computers will be available for testing. This move will also make it easier to collect student data school-wide. It will, however, require that teachers follow these important, simple steps or the data from your classes and all other classes could be lost!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for the Accelerated Reader (AR) and STAR program are posted below. This page is intended to support Jefferson HS teachers in their use of the AR software. Make sure you save your AR Install floppy and know your department passwords. We will hold regular user-group meetings for AR users so that teachers can share their questions, solutions, tips and suggestions.
- Never share the AR or STAR password with students.
- Check your LAUSDnet email and these instructions regularly for updates and new passwords
- Always close the testing program once students are finished. Never leave the testing program running and unattended. Monitor students while they are testing.
[ How do I log into the network version of AR and STAR | How do I create a new AR test | How to back-up an AR file | How to Administer the STAR Test | How to Abort a STAR Test | How to Run the STAR Report for the entire class | How to run a Report for an individual students STAR Test results | How to back up a STAR file | How to add a student | How to edit a Student's Information ]
[ FAQs from Advantage Learning Systems | Submit a question regarding AR or STAR ]
- A special testing login program has been created called "Testing". This common testing program will be installed in the Start menu and allow teachers to launch a variety of networked testing software, such as STAR, AR, Math Testing, Science Testing, and others. Classroom computers will be allowed to access only one testing program at a time, however.
- Begin by starting the PC with the networked version of the desired testing software, in this case STAR and AR. If you are using a PC that is not converted for network testing, you will not need to follow this procedure.
- Log into Windows with either your personal account (usually based on your LAUSDnet account) or under a student account. Either account will work with this new system.
- Next log into FoolProof as Teacher. Any other login will not allow you to proceed.
- Go to Start> "Testing". This program runs an automatic process that connects you to the testing server.
- At the prompt "Testing Program:" enter the name of the desired networked testing program, "ar" for Accelerated Reader 6, and "star" for STAR. The program is case sensitive so use only lowercase letters.
- Hit Enter and at the prompt "password" enter the password for that testing program. The English Tech Rep teachers in 230, 228, 229, and 231 can help you. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org for the password. The passwords will be changed every four months and distributed to teachers via email. So please use your LAUSDnet account regularly for important update information.
- Go to the Programs menu to launch either STAR or AR 6. For example, got to Start> Programs> Accelerated Reader 6 to launch AR. Select the student version of the program.
- You can now begin student testing. All the features in AR and STAR work the same on the network version from this point on. Only the original login process is different. Make sure you monitor the students because they can cause mischief on the testing server if not supervised.
- Mrs. Bailey and Mrs. Malone in the Library will be able to assist you in adding your classes and students. Teachers will be responsible to adding new students to the program and backing up their class data onto floppy disks.
- When all student testing is done, you must log out of the testing program when students are finished. Go to Start> Log Off Student.... When prompted for a new login account either use your personal account again, or the Student-Jefferson account. Do not simply leave the computer. Log out of testing and log in again with your own teacher account or a general student account. Otherwise Restart or Shutdown the computer.
How do I Create a New AR test?
Write out the test first, using at least 20 questions, with four answers each. Answers like "a and c" or "none of the above" can NOT be used since the answers change location.
Log on as Teacher. If you are not is the Test mode, select View --> Tests.
Select Tests --> Add
Select the number of the test to be created, starting with number 900. If you are working with a team of teachers creating tests, make sure you coordinate the test numbers.
Fill out the test information, including title, author, etc.
Use at least 20 questions.
Select Questions and fill out the questions, correct answer, and remaining answers.
Use the arrow buttons to go forward or back to other questions.
Select OK when you are done.
How to back-up an AR file
1. Click on AR teacher
2. Put install disk in computer (make sure you save the install disk that was issued to you)
3. Type in password
4. Remove install disk
5. Insert your back-up disk
6. Go to edit (select all) *
7. Go to file, export
8. Drives- check to make sure you are on A Drive
9. File name type Your name.exp (example Bailey.exp)
10. Click OK
11. Export students will come on screen Click OK **
12. Student information will be exported
13. Click OK again.
[ Top ]
* 6. If your are sharing a computer with another teacher and only want to export your students information just highlight the studentís name and press the space bar. A check will go in front of that student's name. To deselect student's name press the space bar again.
** 11. Two boxes will come up. 1. Omit before current date 2. Omit after current date. Do not check either box. If you do you will lose your information.
[ Top ]
STAR TEST DIRECTIONS
Unlocking the Computer to Remove FoolProof Security
1. Double click on the lock in lower right hand corner of the screen.
2. Go to start up and select teacher
3. Type in your pass word for your department. If you don't know the password, ask your dept. Tech Reps.
4. Press Enter
How to Administer the STAR Test
1. Unlock the computer lock
2. Double click on STAR
3. Highlight your name
5. Give your password and press enter
6. Highlight diagnostic
7. Click on test icon
8. Highlight student name
9. Click take test
10. Enter student pass word (student's first and last initial)
11. Click O.K.
12. Highlight your name
13. Click begin test
14. Enter your pass word
15. Go over the first question of the practice test to explain how to take test
16. Press Stop Testing to stop
17. Highlight your name
18. Put in your password
19. To close press X in the right hand corner of your screen
How to Abort a STAR Test
To abort a test in progress press ALT F4
How to Run the STAR Report for the Entire Class
1. Open STAR
2. Click on Reading Range (Gives entire class test scores)
3. Click on preview
[ Top ]
How to run a Report for an Individual Students STAR Test Results
1. Open STAR
2. Click on Test Record
3. Click on Preview
How to Back Up a STAR File
1. Click on students' icon
2. Click on export
3. Click yes
5. Put in back up diskette
6. Under file name Type YOUR NAME . exp (example: Bailey.exp)
7. Check drive and make sure it is on A drive
8. Click OK
9. Prompt will read "This file already exists. Do you want to replace it?"
10. Press NO and it will just add additional information
11. Press YES and you will have to rename the entire file
How to add a Student
1. Click on students' icon
2. Pass word is first and last initial of student's name
3. Section= example B space p2 which is (B track space period 2)
4. ID= student's birth date ( example 05-01-86 )
7. Click add
How to edit a Student's Information
1. See 1 and 2 above
2. Click edit
3. Make corrections
4. Click OK
[ Top ]
|[ Return to Documents | Technology Committee ]|
Computer graphic by K. Ballash. All other graphics downloaded from Anthony's Icon Library, WWW .images: http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/images/images.html , December, 1998.