Jefferson H.S.

Tour Jefferson High School


1319 E. 41st St., Los Angeles, California


Quad Library Auditorium Athletic Field

The Quad area is where students gather for nutrition, lunch and ocassional lunch-time dances. The environmental organization Tree People has assisted teachers and students in planting more trees here in recent years.

The library and main office building were rebuilt after the 1933 earthquake. Recently computers have been installed. Some were donated by one of Jefferson's active parents, Mrs. Spears. Presently two computers are connected to the Internet via a phone line. Eventually several computers will be networked with Internet access.

A four-panel mural was painted in the library in 1937 by Ross Dickinson through the Federal Works Project. The panels depict the history of printing. Each panel is 11 ft. by 5.5 ft. The subjects of the panels include Heiroglyphs, Manuscripts, The First Printer, and Modern Printing. After six months of research, Mr. Dickinson painted the mural in five weeks.

The entrance to the auditorium depicts the art deco style of Los Angeles in the 1930s. The lobby includes photos of notable Jefferson Alumni, such as diplomat Ralph Bunche, coreographer Alvin Ailey, and jazz saxophonist Dexter Grodon. Many jazz artists emerged out of south central Los Angeles during the era from the '20s to the '50s. For more information, read Central Avenue Sounds: Jazz in Los Angeles, University of California Press. Mr. Bunche grew up in house just across the street from the stadium. In high school he was also an accomplished athlete. We went on to attend UCLA, where there is a building named after him now, and eventually worked for the United Nations. His work there in promoting peace in the Middle East earned him a Nobel Prize.

Fulton-Littlefield field is the site of many victories for the Jefferson track and field team in the 1930s. During that time Jefferson won several California state championships. Football coach Mr. Hank Johnson was voted Coach of the Year for LAUSD for 2000.

Depicting many of the clubs and activities sponsored at Jefferson H.S., this mural was completed by students in 1995 under the direction of Ms. Milene Rodriquez.